Wednesday, January 26, 2011

snack addicted and falling apart - or...homemade corn tortillas

So, I am addicted to snacks. Hard for me to admit, but i realize it's true. I often get home from work around 1am, having started sometime in the afternoon (or perhaps at 11am). I usually manage to eat one (or two, on days i'm just working nights, not a double) healthy meals before work - but they often look like breakfast. Smoothies, omelettes, egg (mc)muffins, scrambled tofu. Then after working 8 hours on my feet, running around bringing other people food and drinks, I am starving. Sometimes I manage to eat a little something at work, but it's usually not the healthiest option, I on-and-off hate my employers and don't want to give them money for food, or I simply don't have time. Then I come home and want the quickest, most satisfying option. And I also happen to be someone who prefers cooking from scratch, eating healthy (as much as its possible with this in-between life).

Last time I posted about homemade wheat tortillas, and I've been wanting to make corn tortillas since then, I was just house-bound with a flu and didn't have masa farina in my pantry. BUT today I made the trek to the REAL, value grocery store (thanks Mom for the Christmas gift certificate) and managed to lug home about 30 pounds of groceries. See, I live in what one might call a "food-desert" - in an area full of high-rise apartments mostly full of business-men commuters and young families- of which I am neither. Within walking distance yhere is a vegetable/fruit market downstairs where I do most of my shopping, and a sobeys express which is not a reliable, economical option for those of us who are struggling to make ends meet in this over-expensive city.

The point here, un-obvious as it may be, is that I like snacks :) Also, I bought 10 avocados (supposedly 2 bags of 5 for 5$) at Metro a week ago. The online flyer advertised 10 for 5$, I went (after midnight on my way home from a dinner party) and bought them and was told more than that, argued with the teller (which I NEVER EVER do) about the price - then realized the next day that flyer started the NEXT day (or perhaps after midnight the day I was there?!?!)

So - angry guacamole - check. Attempting to make corn tortillas by hand, discovering they are much more difficult to roll out than flour tortillas - and thus falling apart - check. Soon to be (crunchy, salty) snack food, made from scratch by my own hands - check!

Guacamole:
4 small avocados (thought they would be overripe, but apparently not heating my kitchen kept them nice and green)
2 LARGE cloves of garlic, minced (seriously, I had almost 1/4 cup of minced garlic from 2 cloves)
juice of 1 1/2 limes (not very juicy limes)
**I like it garlicky, and acidic!
generous pinch or two of salt
1/3 of a jalapeno, chopped (I might be tempted to add more if not perhaps serving to those less heat-a-philic)

Tortillas:
1 cup of masa harina
1/4 tsp kosher salt
3/4 cup of warm/hot tap water

Mix together salt and flour, slowly add water while mixing with hands, in a circular motion, to bring the mixture together into a dough. Alternately add more flour and/or water to make the dough a workable consistency. I still haven't quite found this consistency, but did manage to roll out a few, a bit more thick that I would have liked. Then cook in a large skillet, over medium-high heat, ~45 seconds per side. These are VERY tasty, so much better than store bought, and its hard to even find store bought corn tortillas in Toronto (unless you venture into Kensington, which I do often, but its far enough from my house to not be a 1am, on the way home from work, option).
I then brushed one side with canola oil, sprinkled on more salt, and baked at 375 degrees farenheit for 8 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment